We’re doing things differently this year – now 2 evenings of get-togethers!

There are many outstanding places to hold events in Washington, DC, but regrettably, DFD has outgrown them all as a reception venue serving food and beverages. Fortunately, we found a way to offer both a reception (Sunday) and access to one of the most iconic venues in Washington DC – the Smithsonian’s National Air & Space Museum (Monday).

Conference Reception

Sunday, 6:35 pm – 8:00 pm

SUNDAY evening’s reception will be held on two levels of the Convention Center. The event will offer a variety of light hors d’oeuvres and beverages (including beer and wine) instead of a full meal, allowing participants time to enjoy dinner with colleagues and friends. Undergraduates may purchase tickets for the reception. It is included in the registration fee for all other registrants.

Exclusive Access to the Air & Space Museum

Monday, 6:30 pm – 10:00 pm

For MONDAY evening, we have arranged for DFD to have exclusive access to the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum (NASM).  This event is included in the registration fee for all registrants and up to four of their guests.

Enjoy your time at the Museum!


DFD registrants and their guests can visit the eight new galleries  completed since the monumental multi-year renovation and enjoy two shows in the Albert Einstein Planetarium.

Conference Reception Location

The Albert Einstein PLANETARIUM – Immerse yourself in the stars!

Two (2) shows throughout the night, free of charge, in the only full-dome digital theater in the DC area.

  • Worlds Beyond Earth takes viewers on an exhilarating adventure through our cosmic neighborhood.
  • Dark Universe: The planets, stars, and everything you can see are less than 5% of the universe. What is the other 95%?


7:00 pm – World Beyond Earth
7:30 pm – Dark Universe
8:00 pm – World Beyond Earth
8:30 pm – Dark Universe
9:00 pm – World Beyond Earth
9:30 pm – Dark Universe


The Mars café (Lower level) features a selection of seasonally inspired sandwiches, warm paninis, salads, and pastries. Locally roasted artisan coffees, specialty teas, beer, wine, and other assorted beverages are also available for purchase. Items must be consumed in the Café.


The Museum Store (1st floor & Lower Level): Take home a piece of air and space history from the Museum Store—toys, games, clothing, accessories, books and more for purchase.


Metro, Uber/Lyft, Taxi, and Walking options (click here for transportation options)


Show your badge at the door of the Museum. Guests must be accompanied by you into the Museum.

$ = For Purchase